Buying a Home
Homebuyer Education and Counseling
A well-informed homebuyer can become a successful homeowner. The City of Thornton partners with non-profit organizations to provide free homeownership workshops throughout the year. For course details and registration information contact the organizations listed on the Thornton Community Calendar or click on the CHFA or eHome America links on the right.
Home Finance and Down Payment Assistance
Home finance and down payment assistance programs offer a variety of solutions for buyers purchasing homes in Thornton. All programs require participants to attend a free homebuyer workshop (see above) and may require working with a qualified lender. The organizations shown below and linked on the right have experienced staff and lending partners ready to help:
Unision Housing Partners (fomerly Adams County Housing Authority): Unison Housing Partners provides down payment assistance loans for low to moderate income households, based on need. The loans are forgiven over a period of 5 years and do not need to be repaid as long as the home is not sold and remains owner-occupied during that period. Applicants must be either first-time homebuyers or not have owned a home in the last three years. Call 303-227-2075 for more information.
Colorado Housing Assistance Corporation (CHAC): CHAC offers down payment and closing cost assistance loans up to $5,000 for low to moderate income households. Applicants must be either first-time homebuyers or not have owned a home in the last three years. Call 303- 572-9445 for more information.
Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA): CHFA offers a variety of loan products and options for low and moderate income homebuyers. This includes mortgage products to finance a home and down payment and closing cost assistance programs. The down payment and closing cost assistance programs are offered as a grant, worth up to 4% of loan amount, or a loan, worth up to 5% of loan amount. CHFA also provides a Mortage Credit Certificate program, which allows qualified borrowers to deduct 20% of mortgage interest as a direct tax credit against federal income tax liability, the remaining 80% of mortgage interest is still a deduction. Call 303- 297-7376 for more information.
Community Resources and Housing Development Corporation (CRHDC): CRHDC provides assistance to homebuyers interested in purchasing renovated homes that were previously foreclosed or abandoned. CRHDC also offers different mortgage products to finance a home that can assist very low income buyers (50% AMI) to modreate income buyers. Their downpayment or closing costs assistance loan can assist with $3,000 - $10,000. For eligibility information call 303-428-1448.
Metro Mortgage Assistance Plus: This program offers down payment assistance grants to qualified low and moderate income households. The grant is worth up to 4% of a home’s purchase price, and never has to be repaid. Credit restrictions apply, and households must work with a qualified lender.
Financing for People with Disabilities: People with permanent disabilities or parents of a child with a permanent disability may qualify for special financing offered by CHAC and CHFA. Follow the link on the right for more information.
Colorado Foreclosure Hotline: The State of Colorado sponsors this free hotline for homeowners who have missed a payment or are in danger of foreclosure. Trained professional housing counselors can help you understand what options are available to you. Call 1-877-601-4673 or follow link at the right.
Unision Housing Partners (UHP): UHP conducts free workshops to help people learn how to avoid foreclosure. All workshops are taught by trained housing counselors who assist with refinancing and loss mitigation options for all types of mortgages, including FHA, VA, conventional, and sub-prime. To schedule a private appointment or sign up for a workshop visit the UHP website or call 303-227-2089.
Making Home Affordable: Homeowners may be able to refinance or modify their mortgage payments to a level that would be affordable now and in the future. To learn about your eligibility for this federal program and resources to help, follow the link at the right or call 1-888-995-HOPE.
Adams County Public Trustee: The Adams County Public Trustee's Office processes foreclosures in Adams County. The website provides information regarding individual foreclosure cases, foreclosure auctions, as well as the policy for HOA lien redemptions and cures. The Adams County Public Trustee office can also help with purchasing a foreclosed home. If you are interested in learning more about the purchase of a foreclosed home, please visit the Adams County website.
Public Service Announcements: View information from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to the right.