Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Updates and Notifications
Date of Public Hearing for 2017 Annual Action Plan (AAP) Changed
The date for the public hearing for the 2017 AAP has been moved from May 23, 2017 to June 13, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.
In order to provide comments, residents can attend the City Council public hearing on June 13, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. Residents can provide comments at the public hearing by signing up on the register before the meeting and then the resident will be called up to the podium when the item is presented to Council. All City Council meetings are conducted at Thornton City Hall located at 9500 Civic Center Drive.
The City Hall is accessible to people with disabilities. If you are planning to attend the public meeting and require special assistance, please notify the Human Resources Division at 303-538-7245 at least one day in advance to the meeting. TDD access available through Colorado Relay at 711.
The City held a 30-day public comment period for the 2017 Annual Action Plan between April 3 - May 4, 2017. The AAP identifies activities the city will take on, including projects the city plans to fund with CDBG. A draft version of the Annual Action Plan can be found under CDBG Resources. A summary of the eligible applications received by the city for CDBG funds are outlined below:
- Home Repair Programs - The request is to fund the City's two home repair programs which address health, safety or accessibility issues. Through the Help for Homes program, eligible low-income homeowners can receive minor home repairs. The Home Repair Loan program offers 0% interest loans to low-income homeowners to complete large or complex home repairs.
- Solar Panel Installation Project - The program requests funds to install solar panels on the roofs of low and moderate income homeowners to help offset energy costs.
- Tap Fees - The request is to use funds to pay for a portion of the water and/or sewer tap fees for future affordable multi-family housing.
- Emergency Assistance - The request is to support a program(s) that provide short-term emergency rent, mortgage or utility assistance.
- Acquisition and Rehabilitation of Housing - The request is to support programs that acquire, rehabilitate and sell existing homes to low to moderate income first time buyers.
- Sidewalk Installation Project - The request is to install a new sidewalk(s) in low-income residential areas to increase the resident's access to transit and the surrounding community.