​​​​​​​​​The Traffic Division provides the traffic engineering and traffic operation services for our citizens. The goal is to provide and advocate for a safe, efficient transportation system for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicle drivers. 

​To request traffic signs or pavement markings, to report damaged or worn out signs or pavement markings, to request a study to determine if a new traffic signal is needed or to report operational issues at an existing traffic signal, please contact the Traffic Division. 

Traffic Signs and Pavement Markings

The City of Thornton Traffic Engineering Division maintains the traffic signs and pavement markings. Signs are placed in compliance with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, State statutes, and City ordinances.


The City of Thornton maintains 151 traffic signals and is adding approximately three per year. Traffic signals are installed only after meeting warrants established in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices published by the Federal Highway Administration.

The traffic signals on Colorado Boulevard, Holly Street, Huron Street, Thornton Parkway, Washington Street, 84th Avenue, 88th Avenue, 120th Avenue, 128th Avenue, 136th Avenue, and 144th Avenue are on coordinated traffic signal systems. The traffic signals along 104th Avenue are also coordinated, but maintained from I-25 to Irma Drive by the City of Northglenn.

Traffic Counts

The City of Thornton collects data about its streets on a continuous basis. The data includes 24-hour counts, turning movements, pedestrians, speeds, and data provided by consultants. The City’s 24-hour Count map is being updated quarterly and can be found under our featured links. For traffic count or speed information, please email or call the Traffic Dvision at trafficengineering@cityofthornton.net or 720-977-6490. 

Counts shown on the map are bi-directional.  The first number shown at each location is the count. The second number shown is the year the count was taken. Use the pan and zoom functions in Adobe Acrobat Reader to view count information at a particular location.  Note, this map is formatted for a 36" x 58" print size.  Information may not be visible if printed at smaller sizes.​

Traffic Control Permits  

The City of Thornton requires traffic control permits for items that affect pedestrian or vehicular traffic flow. Such permits include, but are not limited to:

  • Block Parties 
  • Parades 
  • Street Closures 
  • Work Zones 
  • Dirt Haul Routes 
  • Oversized Vehicles

Applications are normally processed within 24 hours of submittal. The application is available from the Traffic Engineering Division or you may download the application, complete it and fax or mail it to the Traffic Engineering Division. 

All work being done in the roadway that is related to development must get a traffic control permit from City Development which can be found under our featured links.​

Street Light Issues  

Street lights are installed, after City approval, and maintained by Xcel Energy (formerly the Public Service Co.) or United Power depending on the area of the City. Please call 720-977-6490 to request that the City investigate the need for a street light(s). To report street light outages, please call Xcel Energy directly at 1-800-895-4999.

Featured Links