The Building Inspection Division is responsible for the Plan Review, Permit Issuance and Inspection of new construction projects and remodel of existing structures in the City of Thornton.
Office Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Payment is accepted from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT AT THIS TIME THE PROCESSING OF PERMIT APPLICATIONS MAY TAKE UP TO
10 BUSINESS DAYS.
Schedule your inspections online through our CityView Portal. You will need to register on the portal in order to schedule inspections. Make sure to follow the instructions for registration under the Portal Help menu. If you are a contractor you will need to log in using your company login. You can schedule your inspection up to 6:30 AM for an inspection THAT day. You can also schedule inspections through the Inspection Request Line 303-538-7396. Inspections scheduled between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM will occur the following business day.
Please leave the following information in this order when scheduling your inspection.
- Permit Number
- Project Address
- Type of Inspection
- Let us know if this is a Reinspection
If we need access to your back yard, to complete the inspection, please give us verbal permission in the request.
- Please make sure that there are no animals in the back yard.
- Homeowners doing their own work can get a 2-hour window by calling 303-538-7250 between 8 AM and 8:30 AM on the morning of your inspection.
- An adult at least 18 years of age shall be present for all required interior inspections.
- Consultation inspections are available to any permit holder. Simply schedule it as you would any other inspection.
Fire Department Information
The Fire Prevention Division is responsible for the enforcement of City of
Thornton laws, codes, and ordinances, including the International Fire Code and
nationally recognized standards. Through plan review, inspections, meetings with
citizens and design professionals, and continuing education, the Prevention
staff works toward the protection of life and property from the effects of fire.
The City of Thornton has amended the roofing sections of the International Building Code and the International Residential Code to require asphalt shingles to carry a manufacturers national wind warranty for the City’s designated wind speed of 90 mph 3-Second Gust. Please see our Roofing Standards for a list of approved shingles and other roofing requirements.
A building permit is required any time you erect, construct, enlarge, remodel, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert, demolish, or change the type of occupancy of any building, structure or utility. For a list of projects that require a permit and a list of projects that do not require a permit, click on the Building Permit Requirements link listed under the Permits, License Application section of links.
The process to obtain a permit will vary dependent upon the complexity of the project. It is our goal to get plans through the system and a permit issued in the minimum amount of time possible.
Once you have all of the information gathered for a complete submittal package, click on the Submittal Requirements. This information and plans can be submitted to the Building Inspection Division for review. Click here for information on Electronic Submittal and Plan Review.
The amount of time to process and review a plan from the initial submittal date to the completion of the first review (the turn around time) will vary with the type of project.
- New Commercial 20 - Working days or less
- Tenant Improvements & Remodels - 10 working days or less
- New Residential - 15 working days or less
- Residential Remodel - 7 working days or less
Once all approvals have been completed, the application is prepared for permit issuance by the permit technician staff. They will verify that all contractors are currently licensed, all permission forms have been received and calculate the permit fee. Once this is complete, you will be notified that the permit is ready for issuance. Following payment of fees, you will receive the building permit, permit card and the field set of plans. Please see the Inspections page for information about the inspection phase of your project.
Code & Amendments
Adopted Codes for the City of Thornton
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2014 National Electric Code