Thornton Water Assistance Program helps low-income individuals and families struggling to pay their water bill. Thornton Water customers and residents living in apartment complexes, manufactured home parks, condominiums and townhomes that receive water through the City of Thornton can apply for the program once per calendar year. Those who meet the program qualifications will receive a credit on their water account. For master meter water customers, the City gives the credit to the property owner or property management company.
The 2019 credit for those with a Thornton Water account is $360.
The 2019 credit for those living in a master meter community is $80.
The person or family must be receiving water through the City of Thornton.
The person(s) on the water bill must be U.S. citizens or lawfully present in the U.S.
The water meter at the address must not have been tampered with in the last three years.
People cannot be receiving financial assistance with rent or mortgage costs from a government or non-profit agency.
The total household income of everyone living in the house must be 185% of the federal poverty level or less. See the table below.
Each add'l person
GROSS MONTHLY INCOME
HOW TO APPLY
Water Assistance Program Application |
Solicitud del Programa de Asistencia.
If you have a Thornton Water account and receive a monthly bill from the City of Thornton:
- Contact Utility Billing at 303-538-7370 and ask for a referral to the Water Assistance Program. Staff will check the water meter for tampering.
- Provide copies of the following items with your application or bring the documents to the City offices and staff will make the copies for free:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or that you are legally residing in the U.S. For example, a driver's license, Colorado ID, passport or Visa.
- A recent water bill. If you pay for your water to a property owner or management company, provide a rent agreement and receipt from property management with current water cost, or water bill. The applicant's name and address needs to be on the bill or receipt.
- Income verification for all adults over 18 living in the house - see application for examples.
Questions: Contact the Water Assistance Specialist Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 303-538-7360 or H2Ohelp@cityofthornton.net. If the line is busy, please leave a message and someone will get back with you as soon as possible.