Home Repair Resources
Home Repair Loan - This loan, offered through Brothers Redevelopment, is a 0% interest loan for major repairs related to health, safety or accessibility. Thornton residents must live in their home and meet income and other program critieria.
Help for Homes - This City program helps low-income homeowners in Thornton with minor home repairs, including accessibility modifications, plumbing repairs or electrical repairs.
Energy and Water Efficiency Resources
By making a few key upgrades you can see immediate benefits such as reductions in your monthly utility bills, improved indoor air quality, and even increased property values. Here area some ideas that can help you make energy efficiency advances.
- Free Solar Program through GRID Alternatives that allows qualifying homeowners the ability to reduce their electricity bill. For more information, call 303-968-1326 or apply today at www.gridalternatives.org/Thornton An application is also provided in the links to the right.
- Thornton Water offers rebates and free services to help you save water.
- The Home Energy Savings Guide by Recharge Colorado offers tips on ways to save energy in your home, including a do-it-yourself energy audit.
- Xcel Energy offers rebates to homeowners who have purchased and installed new energy efficient improvements in their homes.
- The PowerSaver Loan Program allows homeowners to borrow up to $25,000 for energy efficiency and renewable energy improvements to their home. Participating Colorado lenders include Bank of Colorado at 970-663-2999, and Credit Union of Colorado at 303-832-4816.
- Tax credits for some energy efficiency improvements may be available for your federal income tax returns, including geothermal, solar and wind energy systems. Call Energy Star at 1-888-782-7937 for information.
- The Colorado Energy Office provides a financial incentive to those who purchase an existing home (versus newly built) and makes energy efficient or renewable energy upgrades within 120 days of purchase. Contact them at 303-866-2100.
- The Arapahoe County Weatherization Program provides free services to eligible low income Adams County residents. Includes energy audits, furnace and water heater repairs, insulation, and more financial assistance with paying utility bills. Call 303-636-1982.
The "How-to List" on the right hand side of the page provides liks to information including a brohure with steps on how to fix common fence problems, Habitat for Humanity's free Deconstruction Program to remove donation items from a home or building and transport to their Re-Store, and Rebuilding Together Metro Denver's and Handyman Matters' educational classes on fixing common home repairs.