​Block Parties

Neighborhood Block Party

Hosting a party with your neighbors is great way to connect with your neighbors and build a united neighborhood! Celebrate National Night Out on the first Tuesday in August or National Good Neighbor Day on September 28. 


If you would like to close a street or have alcohol on the street or sidewalk at your neighborhood block party, you will need to apply for permits from the City.

Step 1: Closing a residential street within a subdivision requires a traffic control permit.  Arterial and collector streets are not permitted to be closed for block parties. There is no cost for this permit. Permits must be submitted at least five days prior to the event and all affected residents must be notified. A link to the permit is on the right hand side of this page. Traffic control permits can be submitted online.

Step 2: An alcohol permit is required if you choose to have alcohol at a party that will take place on city sidewalks, streets or at parks. Only 3.2% alcohol may be consumed. Bring or submit your approved traffic control permit to the Neighborhood Services division along with your alcohol permit application. The alcohol permit takes 30 days to process and requires a refundable deposit of $50. If you would like to apply, please read the instructions, complete the application and submit it with other applicable documents to the City Clerk's Office, 9500 Civic Center Drive. A link to the permit is located on the right hand side of this page. 

Step 3: You can reserve safety cones for block parties with an approved Traffic Control Permit. Neighborhood Services has a limited number of safety cones and bars for hosts to borrow for their neighborhood block party.  Bring or submit your approved traffic control permit to Neighborhood Services along with your completed Block Party Registration form, which can be found on the right side of this page. Reserving the safety cones and bars requires a refundable deposit of $30.  Neighborhood Services is located on the north side of City Hall, 9500 Civic Center Drive. You can email forms to neighbor@cityofthornton.net.

Other things to consider for your block party

  • Please be considerate of neighbors who are not at the party. Amplified sound is not permitted in residential areas. The Thornton Police Department will enforce the City Code (Section 38-441), which states that it is unlawful for any person or entity to knowingly, willfully or recklessly make, permit, or cause any sound that is an unreasonable noise.  If you have a question about noise or are being affected by excessive or unreasonable noise, please call the Police Dispatch Center at 720-977-5150.
  • To request Thornton police or firefighters visit your National Night Out event, contact Officer Matt Barnes at 720-977-5024.