U.S. Passports - Adults
Required Documents for Adults
Applicants, applying for a passport for the first time or who have a passport which was issued more than 15 years ago, will need to provide:
- Application for a U.S. passport (Form DS-11) – This form is also available at the City Clerk’s Office. While the application may be filled out in advance, it must be signed in the presence of a Passport Acceptance Agent. Do not sign the application before submitting it to the City Clerk’s Office.
- Proof of citizenship – This can be a certified birth certificate, a previously issued passport or Naturalization Certificate. The original document will be sent in with your application and returned to you when your passport is issued. Most people will submit a certified birth certificate, which must include the following items:
- A file date, or the date the certificate was filed in the registrar’s office, within one year of the birth;
- Child’s full name;
- Parents’ names;
- Date and place of birth;
- Registrar’s signature; and
- A raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of the registrar’s office.
We cannot accept a photocopy, a notarized copy, hospital certificate or baptismal certificate as proof of U.S. citizenship. There are several ways to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate. You may contact the county or state in which you were born or use an internet service such as www.VitalChek.com. If you were born in Colorado, you can go to:
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
Vital Records Section
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246-1530
Birth, Death & Other Records
- Proof of identity – A valid driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s permit), naturalization certificate, previous passport, government-issued I.D. with photo and signature, or military I.D. with photo and signature.
- One passport photo – The city provides photos for a fee of $10. Applicants may also provide their own photo; however, photographs that do not comply with Department of State specifications will be rejected. Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Costco, FedEx Office and other photo processing centers often provide passport photo services. Listed below are the specific requirements for passport photos:
- Submit one (1) color photo.
- Photo must be recent – within the last six months.
- Photo must measure 2x2 inches, with an image size from bottom of chin to top of head (including hair) of between 1 and 1 3/8 inches.
- Photo must be clear, front view, full face, taken in normal street attire without a hat or glasses of any kind (including prescription glasses), and printed on photographic paper with a white background.
No uniforms or camouflage fabric is to be worn in passport photos.
- Payment – Payments to the U.S. Department of State must be paid with a check or money order. Payments to the City can be made with cash, check, or money order.