With the increased use of outdoor fireplaces and alternative heating/cooking methods the Thornton Fire Department would like to remind you of proper ways to dispose of leftover ashes. Improper ash disposal from indoor/outdoor fireplaces and wood burning stoves causes thousands of fires every year. Many people do not realize the length of time required for ashes to cool enough for disposal. Even after several days a pile of ashes can hold enough heat to reignite and start a fire. Four days (96 hours) is the minimum cooling period for ashes. Extra care should be used in the storage and final disposal.
As a safety precaution keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from a fireplace, wood stove, or any other heating equipment, and create a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires. Also, make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying, and never leave a fire unattended, particularly when children are present.
For open burning restrictions, please visit the Fire Department web-page at www.cityofthornton.net/Departments/FireDepartment